Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Bangladesh Post War Crimes in Bangladesh by Pakistan Army and their Collaborators 1971

 "My friend came to me with sadness in his eyes / Told me that he wanted help before his country dies / Although I couldn't feel the pain, I knew I had to try / Now I'm asking all of you / To help us to save some lives". -- George Harrison "Bangladesh" 

BANGLADESH POST in 10 July 2017 issued an extensive and visually disturbing set of stamps entitled "War Crimes in Bangladesh by Pakistan Army and their Collaborators 1971". Many of the images  on the stamps are from actual photos.  A total of 71 stamps were released presumably to recall the year of the terrible events - 1971.

As regards to the miniature sheets, each one contained 4 stamps except one that has a single black label as is found in the main sheet. Shown here is one of the 18 miniature sheets, depicting George Harrison and Ravi Shankar who in conjunction with the events in Bangladesh held "The Concert for Bangladesh" in August 1971.
  
This was a powerful issue and quite unprecedented. The designs of some of the individual stamps are horrific and very painful to look at. There has never been a stamp issue quite like this. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment